BLAAAAH. Cut the crap federal government. (and I'm not even talking about Bush. I'm talking about the bureaucratic crap that is always there, no matter who's heading it.)
Perhaps I should just lower my standards of what I think the government should be and can do.
I think one thing this hurricane has brought to greater light are the deep, institutional problems we have in our government and our society. We need to open our eyes. I think the moral health of our society is reflected in the way we treat the poor and those who need our help the most. What this hurricane has shown is that we just don’t care, that we blithely disregard the poor, the minority, the elderly, the infirm until something like this happens. I don’t know why, but I’m still shocked and pissed off by it, and guilty because I know I contribute. You’d think by now I would have just accepted it as fact. But I’m still idealistic enough to think that we can do better, we should do better. I guess that’s why I’m so disappointed by the government’s response to all this—I can’t believe that’s the best our country could have done. What’s wrong with expecting more, demanding more? What’s worse, expecting too much, or expecting too little?
I’m rambling. I’m frustrated. I can donate money, but what else? Pray, I guess. And keep my resolve to be a social engineer, and not a parasite.
And the Barbara Bush article? That’s just in because, well, what the hell lady?
Top FEMA leaders short on experience
By Andrew Zajac and Andrew Martin
Wed Sep 7, 9:40 AM ET
Top officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency have strong political connections to President Bush, but they also share at least one other trait: They had little or no experience in disaster management before landing in top FEMA posts.
Michael Brown, who heads FEMA as undersecretary of homeland security for emergency preparedness and response, already has endured sharp criticism for comments he made last week that seemed to suggest he did not understand that thousands of victims of Hurricane Katrina had taken refuge at the
Before joining FEMA in 2001, Brown, a protege of longtime Bush aide Joseph Allbaugh, was commissioner of the International Arabian Horse Association and had virtually no experience in disaster management.
An official biography of Brown's top aide, acting deputy director Patrick Rhode, doesn't list disaster relief experience.
The department's No. 3 official, acting deputy chief of staff Brooks Altshuler, also does not have emergency management experience, according to FEMA spokeswoman Natalie Rule.
Rule said the absence of direct experience managing emergencies is irrelevant because top managers need "the ability to keep the organization running."
But Eric Holdeman, director of the King County Office of Emergency Management in
"Experience is not just general managerial experience, it's experience in the field," he said.
Rhode and Altshuler worked in the White House's Office of National Advance Operations, which arranges Bush's travel and scripts his appearances.
The credentials of top FEMA managers stand in contrast to the backgrounds of leaders of the agency during the last years of the
Clinton-era FEMA Director James Lee Witt headed the
Witt's top aides in 2000, Lynn Canton and Michael Armstrong, ran regional FEMA offices for at least three years before assuming senior positions in
Rep. Bennie Thompson (news, bio, voting record) (D-Miss.) said the lack of experience in FEMA's top ranks was evident in the sluggish response to the hurricane.
"Disaster preparedness, whether it's in anticipation of potential weather-related incidents or terrorist incidents requires a skill set that in my mind someone has to be trained for," said Thompson, ranking Democrat on the House Committee on Homeland Security.
Moreover, The Associated Press reported Tuesday that Brown waited until hours after Katrina had struck the
Brown sought the approval from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff roughly five hours after Katrina made landfall on Aug. 29, the AP said.
Before then, FEMA had positioned smaller rescue and communications teams across the
Brown has stoutly defended FEMA's performance, saying the agency has done the best it could under bad circumstances.
Last week, Bush, while saying that the initial federal response to the hurricane was "not acceptable," nonetheless lauded Brown, telling him, "Brownie, you're doing a heckuva job."
On Tuesday, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan declined to echo such praise.
"We've got to continue to do everything we can in support of those who are involved in the operational aspects of this response effort," McClellan said.
FEMA director waited to seek Homeland help
Documents: Brown waited five hours after storm’s landfall to get agency aid
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:04 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2005
WASHINGTON - The government’s disaster chief waited until hours after Hurricane Katrina had already struck the Gulf Coast before asking his boss to dispatch 1,000 Homeland Security workers to support rescuers in the region — and gave them two days to arrive, according to internal documents.
Michael Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, sought the approval from Homeland Security Secretary Mike Chertoff roughly five hours after Katrina made landfall on Aug. 29. Brown said that among duties of these employees was to “convey a positive image” about the government’s response for victims.
Before then, FEMA had positioned smaller rescue and communications teams across the
Brown’s memo to Chertoff described Katrina as “this near catastrophic event” but otherwise lacked any urgent language. The memo politely ended, “Thank you for your consideration in helping us to meet our responsibilities.”
The initial responses of the government and Brown came under escalating criticism as the breadth of destruction and death grew. President Bush and Congress on Tuesday pledged separate investigations into the federal response to Katrina. “Governments at all levels failed,” said Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine.
Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke said Brown had positioned front-line rescue teams and Coast Guard helicopters before the storm. Brown’s memo on Aug. 29 aimed to assemble the necessary federal work force to support the rescues, establish communications and coordinate with victims and community groups, Knocke said.
Instead of rescuing people or recovering bodies, these employees would focus on helping victims find the help they needed, he said.
“There will be plenty of time to assess what worked and what didn’t work,” Knocke said. “Clearly there will be time for blame to be assigned and to learn from some of the successful efforts.”
‘A positive image’
Brown’s memo told employees that among their duties, they would be expected to “convey a positive image of disaster operations to government officials, community organizations and the general public.”
“FEMA response and recovery operations are a top priority of the department and as we know, one of yours,” Brown wrote Chertoff. He proposed sending 1,000 Homeland Security Department employees within 48 hours and 2,000 within seven days.
Knocke said the 48-hour period suggested for the Homeland employees was to ensure they had adequate training. “They were training to help the life-savers,” Knocke said.
Employees required a supervisor’s approval and at least 24 hours of disaster training in
The same day Brown wrote Chertoff, Brown also urged local fire and rescue departments outside
Sen. Barbara Mikulski, D-Md., said Tuesday that Brown should step down.
After a senators-only briefing by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and other Cabinet members, Sen. Charles E. Schumer said lawmakers weren’t getting their questions answered.
‘A big, big problem’
“What people up there want to know, Democrats and Republicans, is what is the challenge ahead, how are you handling that and what did you do wrong in the past,” said Schumer, D-N.Y.
Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, said the administration is “getting a bad rap” for the emergency response. “People have to understand this is a big, big problem.”
Meanwhile, the airline industry said the government’s request for help evacuating storm victims didn’t come until late Thursday afternoon. The president of the Air Transport Association, James May, said the Homeland Security Department called then to ask if the group could participate in an airlift for refugees.
Offers of Aid Immediate, but
By Elizabeth Williamson
Wednesday, September 7, 2005; A01
Offers of foreign aid worth tens of millions of dollars -- including a Swedish water purification system, a German cellular telephone network and two Canadian rescue ships -- have been delayed for days awaiting review by backlogged federal agencies, according to European diplomats and information collected by the State Department.
Since Hurricane Katrina, more than 90 countries and international organizations offered to assist in recovery efforts for the flood-stricken region, but nearly all endeavors remained mired yesterday in bureaucratic entanglements, in most cases, at the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
In
"FEMA? That was a lost case," said Mirit Hemy, an executive with the Netherlands-based New Skies Satellite who made the phone calls. "We got zero help, and we lost one week trying to get hold of them."
In
Matching offers of aid -- from Panamanian bananas to British engineers -- with needs in the devastated region is a laborious process in a disaster whose scope is unheard of in recent
State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said yesterday that to his knowledge, all offers of foreign aid have been accepted and some have arrived, such as Air
FEMA spokeswoman Natalie Rule said the foreign complaints echo those from governors and officials "across the nation."
"There has been that common thought that because [offers of aid] are not tapped immediately, they're not prudently used," Rule said. "We are pulling everything into a centralized database. We are trying not to suck everything in all at once, whether we need it or not."
European diplomats said publicly that they understand the difficulty of coordinating such a massive recovery effort. In an open letter released yesterday, though, Ambassador John Bruton, head of the Delegation of the European Commission to the
"Perhaps one of those lessons will be that rugged individualism is not always enough in such a crisis, particularly if an individual does not have the material and psychological means to escape the fury of a hurricane in time."
Soon after the flooding, the government of
"As far as I know, it's still on the ground," said Claes Thorson, press counselor at the Swedish Embassy in
So far, Thorson said, the State Department has denied
German telecommunications company KB Impuls contacted another company, Unisat, based in
In a region with its communications systems in tatters, the $3 million system could handle 5,000 calls at once, routing them, if necessary, through
KB Impuls would contribute the equipment and two engineers, supplied with their own food, water and generator fuel, to set it up. Unisat contacted another firm, New Skies Satellite, with offices in
New Skies even arranged transport, securing a C-130 cargo plane from the Israeli air force, to pick up the equipment and technicians from
Finally the State Department told them that to receive flight clearance, the gift must have a specific recipient. "I was ringing, ringing, ringing -- and nothing," Hemy said. Finally, yesterday, she got a call from the U.S. Air Force's Joint Task Force Katrina Communication Operations division, thanking the companies for the gift and inquiring about the system's technical specifications.
As of late yesterday, the companies were waiting for a written order from the Northern Command to begin the mission. "I don't have a problem confirming that," Bar-Zemer said of the story. But he expressed concerns that disclosing the difficulties in donating could jeopardize the company's chances of actually delivering the aid.
Barbara Bush: Relocation 'working very well' for poor
HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Former Presidents Bush and Clinton got smiles, hugs and requests for autographs when they met with refugees from Hurricane Katrina -- but it was Bush's wife who got attention for some of her comments.
Barbara Bush, who accompanied the former presidents on a tour of the Astrodome complex Monday, said the relocation to
"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in
Her comments came as the two former presidents visited with hundreds of the 23,600 hurricane refugees and announced the creation of the Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund.
"We're most anxious to roll up our sleeves and get to work," George H.W. Bush said. "It will take all of us working together to accomplish our goal. This job is too big for any one group."
"There is still a lot of anger. There is still a lot of confusion, but I don't think we should be surprised,"
The elder Bush said he doesn't like the criticism leveled at his son, President Bush, but added, "As a president it goes with territory."
As the Bushes entered a shelter set up at the
After a brief exchange with one girl, Barbara Bush grabbed her hand and took her to meet her husband. Barbara Bush placed her arm around the girl's back and the child smiled widely as she talked with the former president.
Obama, picked up a little girl who brought him a small heart she had made in a makeshift daycare center at the shelter.
"What's your name, sweetie? You look so pretty," Obama said to the girl. "You made this heart and you decided to give it to Bill Clinton, didn't you?"
The little girl, named Kearra, shook her head affirmatively.
"Well, I give you my heart,"

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home